Yesterday was a great day. It was a sharp contrast to other days I have had, and through some reflection, I realized why. So, I thought I would share those insights with you so that you too can have a great day!
Get Into Nature
No matter where you are, nature is around you.
Spending time in nature makes you feel more connected to your life, other people, and the world around you.
Nature also has a vitalizing effect on you! You can feel that when you step outside, but if you don’t believe me, studies have proved it.
I’m quite fortunate, I live in a small town and there is a huge park inside of our town plus a lot of walking parks around my town. But, my husband and I bought an annual pass to a place called Devonian Botanical Garden, which has a variety of plants, flowers, and scenery.
We love to be surrounded by the flowers, trees, plants, etc. All of their gardens are soothing and revitalizing. But, they have a Japanese garden that is perfect for meditation and reflection.
- It has a waterfall that ends in flowing water to a pond.
- It has one of those big gongs that you can bang.
- It has Japanese trees and shrubs.
- Every area of the garden offers a different scene.
I was heading into the garden when I heard some woodpeckers fighting, so I took a video of it and caught one of them (who was trying to fly away and get out of the fight) flying into the greenhouse window (you can hear him banging into it). I felt bad for him, but luckily he was okay. He took a few minutes to gain his composure and then he flew away for good.
Be Mindful Of Your Surroundings
Nature does have the capability to heal the mind and, therefore, the body. But, being mindful of your surroundings will do even more good.
While I was sitting in the park yesterday, I grabbed my cell phone and lost about 15 minutes of nature time because I was so absorbed in what I was looking at.
Those 15 minutes were not the best minutes of my day yesterday.
The moments that I was mindful of my surroundings were the ones that made me feel good, alive, and happy.
But it wasn’t just being mindful outdoors that felt good. In the morning, I went to a coffee shop and made a point of being very mindful of the people and atmosphere around me, and I can stay that was a huge part of my great day.
A while ago, I wrote an article about ‘how to live in the now‘ and even though I know how to be mindful, I’ve found myself concentrating on the past lately – focused on mistakes I have made in my personal life and how it has influenced where I am. Yesterday reminded me that I need to stay mindful if I want to feel great and have a great day.
Enjoy What Matters
I work from home, so I don’t get away from my home a lot during the week. I also have two dogs, so I don’t get away from them very often. I love my dogs, but I find that when I take some time away from them, I come home and see them with new eyes.
My husband works outside of the home, and it’s funny because if I go out for a few hours and come home, they don’t really care. But if my husband goes out for a few hours and comes home, they greet him like they haven’t seen him in years. BUT if I go out for the whole day (or longer) then I get the same greeting as my husband.
I guess people and animals are not that different – we can all take for granted the people and things in our life that we have continuous access to.
If you find that you have stopped enjoying what matters, like the people and animals in your life, then take some time to really appreciate them.
Stay mindful when you are around them instead of focusing on the TV or something else going on. Talk to them, listen to them, and feel their presence.
A lot of times I don’t even know where my dogs are in the house! But when I am paying attention to them, I capture some of the most memorable moments in my mind and even on film. In fact, the other day I was able to catch my miniature Schnauzer watching Shrek. I may have missed this adorable moment if I would have notbeen appreciating them and their worth to me.
No Matter What – Have A Great Day Today!
So, if you want to have a great day today, try the above three things.
You can take action right now! Try these action tips.
1. Go outside right now and breathe the air. Listen to the wind and birds, look up at the clouds and admire their ability to form shapes of animals and faces, let the sun or rain hit your face, and enjoy the wonders of nature’s system of life.
2. Take a few minutes of your day to stop and use your senses. This will help you be mindful of your surroundings. Listen to people talking, look at your surroundings, take in the smells, see if you can gain a sense of taste of your surroundings. Touch the things around you, and feel the chair against your skin or the ground below your feet.
3. When you see someone or something that really matters to you, take some time to express gratitude. You don’t have to outwardly say you are grateful, but allow yourself to feel the gratitude you have for the people and things in your life that really make life worth living.